Chinese budget phone maker Honor has splitted from Huawei and has signed partnerships with major chip suppliers such as Intel and Qualcomm ,it said on Friday.
Huawei had sold Honor to a consortium of 30 of the sub-brand’s agents and dealers in November to help it resume sourcing components restricted by U.S. sanctions.
In the launch of its first phone model since the split,the View40, Honor said in a statement it now had its own deals with some tech firms.
These include AMD, MediaTek, Micron Technology, Microsoft, Samsung, SK Hynix, and Sony.
The company is also set to pursue the ‘internet of things’ market, using Huawei’s terminology for connected smart devices controlled by mobile phones.
Honor shipped 13.3 million phones in the third quarter of last year, making up just over a quarter of Huawei’s total shipments.
Honor’s roughly 8,000 staff have moved out of Huawei’s offices to a new headquarters also in the southern city of Shenzhen.
Tightening rounds of U.S. restrictions have choked off Huawei’s access to advanced U.S. chip technology, damaging its phone business. The United States alleges that Huawei’s equipment poses a security risk, a charge the company denies.