Sanwo-Olu confirms that soldiers were deployed to Lekki toll gate

lagos

The Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu in a press briefing on Wednesday morning 21st October, confirmed that men of the Nigerian Army were deployed to the #EndSARS protest at Lekki toll gate on Tuesday 20th October. 

In his speech, he said that he has ordered an investigation to be carried out to determine why the soldiers were deployed to the protest ground. 

”It is imperative to explain that no sitting governor controls of engagement of the military. I have nonetheless instructed an investigation into the ordered and adopted rules of engagement implored by the officers and men of the Nigerian Army that were deployed to the Lekki tollgate last night.

“This is with the view to taking it up with the higher command of the Nigerian Army and to seek the intervention of Mr President in his capacity as the commander in chief to unravel the sequence of events that happened yesterday night.” he said

Recall that the army had earlier denied it’s involvement in the Lekki massacre, as they claimed soldiers were not even present there. 

Watch a video of him speaking below: