Former White House adviser, Kellyanne Conway Tests Positive for Coronavirus

Former White House counselor Kellyanne Conway has tested positive for COVID-19 after reportedly meeting with President Trump earlier this week for debate preparations. Conway confirmed the news late Friday:

“Tonight I tested positive for COVID-19. My symptoms are mild (light cough) and I’m feeling fine. I have begun a quarantine process in consultation with physicians. As always, my heart is with everyone affected by this global pandemic.”

Conway is just the latest in a growing list of Trump World figures to test positive for the virus. Trump’s top aide, Hope Hicks, was confirmed to have the virus on Thursday just hours before the president himself announced he and the first lady had contracted the virus. The president and many in his inner circle have been spotted mask-less at recent campaign rallies, as well as an event in the White House Rose Garden last weekend. In addition to Conway, Trump also reportedly met with former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, among others, for debate preparations. Christie has said “no one was wearing masks” at the time.

President Trump, who was diagnosed with the novel coronavirus on Thursday, is being flown to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center but has reportedly not transferred power to Vice President Mike Pence. White House communications director Alyssa Farah told reporters, “The president is in charge.”

The White House has said Trump will be working while he is evaluated at the hospital “out of an abundance of caution.” New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman reported earlier Friday that two sources familiar with the plan say he’s expected to undergo tests at the hospital.

“President Trump remains in good spirits, has mild symptoms, and has been working throughout the day,” White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement, adding that the president was expected to remain at the hospital “for the next few days.” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), who comes after Pence in the line of succession should Trump become incapacitated, was reportedly not notified by the White House that Trump was being transported to the hospital.

Share: