Virgin Galactic, the world’s first space tourism company has started recruiting for various positions as it’s plan to go commercial gets underway.
In a series of job openings posted on indeed.com, Virgin Galactic wants to higher at least 56 people.
In one of the positions titled, Spaceship Propulsion Production Technician, the company described the role as below.
Who we are:
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is an affiliate of Virgin Galactic as a space-system manufacturing organization. Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port in Mojave, California, it is building and testing a fleet of White Knight Two carrier aircraft and SpaceShipTwo reusable spaceships that, together, form Virgin Galactic’s human spaceflight system. Like many Virgin companies across the world, its team of over 400 talented and dedicated engineers, technicians and professionals are drawn together by a willingness to disrupt and challenge the status quo and deliver innovative aerospace solutions to our customers’ needs. TSC’s extensive capabilities encompass preliminary vehicle design and analysis, manufacturing, ground testing, flight testing and post-delivery support.
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is seeking an experienced composites bonding, assembly, fabrication, and test technician to join our dynamic Spaceship Propulsion Team. This Spaceship Propulsion Production Technician is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. If you have a great attitude and a creative mind then you will feel right at home in this organization! The first task of this role will be to quickly learn and understand our unique bonding and assembly processes used in the production of our hybrid rocket motors. The technician in this position will work from engineering drawings and detailed work instructions to fabricate top quality propulsion components. You will find yourself amongst the best and brightest while being part of a pioneering organization!
- This role will initially be located in Long Beach, CA at the site of our sister company, Virgin Orbit. The estimated time in Long Beach is 18 months at which time the role will transition to our campus in Mojave. We are looking for candidates that will commit to relocating as required.
- Composites parts fabrication and repair:
- Cutting composite fabrics and rubbers, laying up composite fabrics and rubbers by hand in molds to fabricate spaceship rocket motor and launch vehicle parts.
- Assembly of tools to be used for injection molding parts to be consumed in manufacturing.
- Use of weighing scales to properly ratio resins to hardener and to track material weights consumed by the part.
- Measuring and placing stations on tooling mold surfaces to locate composite fabric plies per engineering drawings.
- Vacuum bagging of parts per specifications.
- Reads Engineering Orders, (E.O.s), blueprints and Service Repair Manuals (SRMs).
- Identifies acceptable defects. Uses applicable inspection criteria for non-destructive inspection.
- Operates curing ovens/autoclave and monitors cycle functions.
- Hand sanding composite surfaces.
- Dry fitting components.
- Hand finishing parts to fit including hand trimming.
- Wet layup (using adhesives and fabrics).
- Fixing/locating structure.
- Use of equipment such as gantry cranes to locate components.
- Forklift operations consisting of gathering and placing parts.
- Follow instructions precisely to complete complex assemblies accurately.
- Use adhesives.
- Co-curing and secondary bonding.
- Surface preparations utilizing curing temperatures and cleanliness.
- Filament Winding:
- Winding experience
- Programming experience using SimWind, FlexWind, and/or FiberGrafix
- Computer work:
- Work with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system to record job status, time spent, and material tracking.
What you bring:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 3+ years of experience with composites or aircraft fabrication and assembly strongly preferred.
- Hands-on experience in a precision yet manual manufacturing setting required.
- Can demonstrate standard fabrication methods utilizing wet lay-up and pre-preg lay-up processes including gap mapping and corner tapes.
- Able to identify, assess, and repair damage to composite and honeycomb structures.
- Able to perform and document damage removal, core removal, scarf and mechanical patches.
- Identifies, removes, cleans, and preps contaminated structures.
- Daily attendance is essential for this position.
- Experienced with transits, levels, lasers, and trackers.
- A strong understanding of the importance of FOD control and tool control.
- Experienced with Quality Inspection points and process documentation.
- High level of knowledge of resins, mixing, ratios, and paste mixes.
- Thinks outside of the box and finish jobs per schedule and demands.
- Must be able to take direction well and is a strong team player.
- Extreme attention to detail and continual pursuit of perfection.
- Excellent listening and communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing philosophies a plus.
- Experience with manufacturing-based ERP systems a plus.
- Experience with hand tools (torque wrenches, specialty tools etc.) a plus.
- Experience with Filament winding a plus.
- Experience with plumbing (fluid lines and fittings) a plus.
- Experience with manual lathe and mill operation a plus.
- Strong safety work ethic – recognizes the importance of properly handling hazardous materials, chemicals, tools, etc.
- Enjoys manual/physical labor.
- Must be comfortable working in a non-temperature controlled environment.
ITAR RequirementsTo conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Spaceship Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with The Spaceship Company is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.