Court refuses to halt ex-NNPC GMD Yakubu’s ‘$9.8m fraud’ trial

A Federal High Court in Abuja has declined to halt further proceedings in the trial of former Group Managing Director (GMD) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Andrew Yakubu, for alleged money laundering involving about $9.8 million.

In a ruling yesterday, Justice Ahmed Mohammed held that although both parties had filed appeals before the Supreme Court, whose outcome would likely impact the case before him, he was constrained, by virtue of the provision of Section 306 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), to continue hearing the case as ordered by the Appeal Court.

Justice Mohammed noted that the provision of Section 306 of the ACJA and the decision of the Supreme Court in the case of Olisa Metuh v. the Federal Republic of Nigeria had effectively outlawed the grant of stay of proceedings in criminal cases on grounds of the filing of an interlocutory appeal.

The judge held that although both parties were dissatisfied with the April 24, 2020 judgment of the Appeal Court in Abuja and had appealed the decision, the court can only comply with the provisions of the law.

He adjourned till July 8 for the defendant to enter his defence on counts three and four, which are now left in the original six-count charge filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Yakubu was arraigned on March 16, 2017, on a six-count charge of failure to make full disclosure of assets, receiving cash without passing through a financial institution, which borders on money laundering and intent to avoid a lawful transaction under law, transported at various times to Kaduna, the aggregate sum of $9,772,800 and £74,000.

The EFCC said the money was recovered by its agents from a safe allegedly hidden by the defendant in a house in a Kaduna State community.

On October 17, 2018, the prosecution closed its case after calling the seventh witness, Suleiman Mohammed (an EFCC operative), who gave evidence on how the commission’s officials, on February 3, 2017, recovered $9,772,000 and £74,000 stashed in a huge fireproof safe in a building belonging to the defendant at Sabon Tasha area of Kaduna State.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.