PwC denies ban on Huawei, ZTE smartphones

PwC

The Chinese unit of tax and audit giant, PwC has denied it placed a ban on smartphones manufactured by Huawei Technologies Co Ltd and ZTE Corp.

There was a piece of viral news on China’s version of Twitter, Weibo that PwC ordered its mobile security unit called MobileIron to delist mobile phones from Huawei and ZTE as part of its compliance with the U.S. ban on Huawei, the world’s second-largest maker of smartphones.

In response to the news, PwC said in an official statement cited by state-sponsored Global Times that:

“PwC always supports various mainstream smartphones and software, including Huawei and ZTE.”

The news that went viral was from a Weibo user who goes by the name- Wangdalirushan on the Weibo account late Thursday, in which the London-based firm said in a notice sent to its employees Thursday that “We are required to remove colleagues who use Huawei and ZTE smartphones from the MobileIron system because PwC Global will exclude the two brands from the supporting device list.”

PwC denied the veracity of the news that:

“We have required relevant media to immediately correct and delete untrue content.”

According to data compiled by Global Times, had 394 partners and 12,751 staff members in the Chinese mainland as of July 1 last year.