The release and status of the 82 Chibok girls recently freed by Boko Haram has been confirmed by the presidency.
Following a successful negotiation between the government and the terror group, the girls were released in exchange for their imprisoned members.
A tweet by the Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina said that the girls have been received by the Chief of Staff to the President, Abba Kyari at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.
“82 Chibok girls now in Abuja. Received on behalf of the President at the airport by Chief of Staff, Alhaji Abba Kyari. Congrats Nigeria”, Adesina tweeted.
The girls are said to have undergone medical screening and are scheduled to meet with the president soon.
Moreso, the Bring Back Our Girls movement has also appreciated the effort of the government while they await the return of about 113 remaining girls and other captured.
Recalled that the girls where captured by the insurgent group in April 14th 2014.
Meanwhile, negotiations with the terrorist group last year had led to the rescue of over 20 of the girls.
The statement from the Presidency last on the day of the release of 82 girls on Saturday 6th May 2016 stated:
“The President is pleased announce that negotiations to release more of the Chibok Girls have born fruit with the release of 82 more Girls today.
“After months of patient negotiations, our security agencies have taken back these abducted girls in exchange for some Boko Haram suspects held by the authorities.
“The Girls are due tomorrow in Abuja to be received by the President. “The President expressed his deep gratitude to security agencies, the military, the government of Switzerland, the Red Cross, local and international NGOs for the success of this operation.
“It may be recalled that when the first batch of 21 Girls were released in October last year,the President directed the security agencies to continue in earnest until all the Chibok Girls have been released and reunited with their families.
“The President has been receiving full reports from the Director-General of the State Security Services at each stage.”