Turkish Airlines has released its traffic disclosure for 2016 showing that the airline moved a total of 62.8 million passengers globally in 2016.
When compared to its 2015 milestone of 61.2 million passengers, the Turkish Airlines’ passenger growth grew by 2.6% year on year. The result shows that the airline performed better than the previous year in spite of various challenges that confronted its operations.
Other highlights of the disclosure shows that:
- Increases in number of passengers carried in domestic and international lines are 3.8% and 1.5%, respectively.
- International Business Class passengers remained the same, while international-to-international transfer passengers increased by 14.1%.
- L/F decreased by 3.1 point to 74.6%.
- ASK with 10.7% increase reached to 170.1 billion during the period of January-December 2016 from 153.6 billion for the same period of 2015. Increases in ASK in domestic and international lines are 5.6% and 11.5%, respectively.
- RPK with 6.3% increase reached to 126.8 billion during the period of January-December 2016 from 119.3 billion for the same period of 2015. Increases in RPK in domestic and international lines are 4.1% and 6.7%, respectively.
- Number of landings (passenger aircraft) of 452,763 for the period of January-December 2015 increased by 2.5% to 464,031 in 2016.
- Cargo/Mail carried during the period of January-December 2016 increased by 21.7% to 876,228 tons from 719,928 tons in 2015.
- By the end of December 2016, number of destinations went up to 295 from 284 of December 2015. Number of domestic destinations remained the same as 49 and international destinations increased from 235 to 246.
- By the end of December 2016, number of aircraft went up to 334 from 299 of December 2015. Number of wide body aircraft increased from 73 to 87, narrow body aircraft from 216 to 234, and cargo aircraft went up to 13 from 10.