Abdulmumin Jibrin, the former Chairman on Budget and Appropriation has finally written the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC to level serious allegations of corruption against Yakubu Dogara, the Speaker Federal House of Representatives.
Nigeria’s federal House of Representatives has come under a fresh scandal on the padding of the 2016 budget. Yakubu Dogara has been accused by Abdulmumin Jibrin alongside other members of the house for padding the 2016 budget with at least.
According Jibrin, “Speaker Yakubu Dogara and the three others fraudulently shortchanged the House of Representatives and abused their offices by unilaterally taking away 40 Billion Naira out of the 100 Billion Naira allocated for constituency projects and distributing same to themselves”
He also alleged that members of some standing committees “inserted over 2000 projects worth about 284 Billion Naira”
See below his full statement:
HAMMART & CO
(Barristers, Solicitors, Legal Consultants & Company Secretaries)
29th July 2016
The Executive Chairman
Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC)
PETITION OF CORRUPT PRACTICES AND ABUSE OF OFFICE AGAINST SPEAKER YAKUBU DOGARA, DEPUTY SPEAKER YUSUF LASUN, HOUSE WHIP ALHASSAN ADO DOGUWA, MINORITY LEADER LEO OGOR, AND OTHER MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
We have been briefed and our services retained by Honorable Abdulmumin Jibrin, the Member representing Kiru/Bebeji Federal Constituency of Kano State at the House of Representatives, hereinafter called our client and on whose behalf and express instructions we write this petition to your esteemed office on the captioned subject matter as follows:
1. Our Client, Honourable Abdulmumin Jibrin, is the Member representing Kiru/Bebeji Federal Constituency of Kano State at the House of Representatives.
2. His address is at room 1.05 House of Representatives, National Assembly Abuja
3. Until the 21st of July 2016, when he resigned from that position, Our Client was the Chairman of the House Committee on Appropriations.
4. Our Client petitions you against the under named persons as follows:
i. Speaker Yakubu Dogara
ii. Deputy Speaker Yusuf Lasun
iii. House Whip Alhassan Ado Doguwa
iv. Minority Leader Leo Ogor
v. Hon Herma Hembe
vi. Hon Mohammed Bago
vii. Hon Zakari Mohammed
viii. Hon Chike Okafor
ix. Hon Dan Asuquo
x. Hon Jagaba Adams Jagaba
xi. Hon Haliru Jika
xii. Hon Babanle Ila
xiii. Hon Abonta Abonta
5. Speaker Yakubu Dogara, Deputy Speaker Yusuf Lasun, House Whip Alhassan Ado Doguwa and Minority Leader Leo Ogor.
Speaker Yakubu Dogara and the three others fraudulently shortchanged the House of Representatives and abused their offices by unilaterally taking away 40 Billion Naira out of the 100 Billion Naira allocated for constituency projects and distributing same to themselves and the trio of Deputy Speaker Yusuf Lasun, House Whip Alhassan Ado Doguwa and Minority Leader Leo Ogor without the approval of the House.
6. Speaker Yakubu Dogara approached our client with personal requests of about 30 Billion Naira to be inserted into the 2016 budget our clients refusal to get that done caused a major rift between them which has escalated beyond measure presently.
7. Speaker Dogara acting in concert with the aforenamed trio and as against the advice o our client inserted wasteful projects for their constituencies worth about 20 Billion Naira.
8. Our client also complained to Speaker Dogara that the Chairmen of about 10 out of the 96 standing committees of the House have inserted over 2000 projects worth about 284 Billion Naira but his complaint was ignored because the Speaker was acting in cahoots with them.
9. That in a bid to ensure that his nefarious intentions are met, the Speaker took away the appropriations committee secretariat on two occasions where several insertions were made into the budget and this created avoidable
10. The Speaker also gave directions to our client to create a strange line item in the service wide vote to allow for a 20 Billion Naira insertion into the budget under the name of National Assembly our client refused to accede to his request.
11. The Speaker fraudulently diverted a Federal Government water project to his farm in Nasarawa State and the source of funding for the farm remain questionable
12. The Speaker also made a fraudulent arrangements to deduct monthly from money meant for members office running cost to fund a so called dubious mortgage arrangement
13. The Speaker abused his office by directing an agency to grant loans and also arrange frequent private meetings with heads of MDA’s in a clear case of corruption and conflict of interest
14. The Speaker acting in collusion with the above named trio allocated themselves the entire 20% inputs reserved for the House of Representatives after the harmonization exercise.
15. The Speaker fraudulently collected undisclosed millions of Naira in scam arrangement for the rent of houses and guest houses acting in collusion with Deputy Speaker Yusuf Lasun and Hon. Herman Hembe. It is a matter of public knowledge in the House that Lasun had openly accused Hembe have carted away will some millions from the illicit money
16. The Speaker has ordered that all the computers in the appropriate secretariat be shut down and moved to his office whilst the secretariat still are being harassed to keep quiet and suppress facts relating to the entire budget and there has been attempts by agents of the speaker to burgle client’s office to steal vital documents
17. The Speaker also allowed several wasteful procurement of needless items, including ones that are already in the offices of members as a ploy to siphon funds of the House
18. The Speaker has despite several protest [sic] from members continue [sic] to run the management of finances of the House and it’s [sic] budget in absolute secrecy in the face of several allegations of sharp practices.
Our client further humbly petitions against the following House Committee Chairmen involved in serial acts of fraud in the budgeting and other process as follows:
1. Honourable Herma Hembe
Honourable Herma Hembe is the member representing Vandeikya/Konshisha Federal Constituency of Benue State and also the Chairman of the House Committee on the Federal Capital Territory. Honourable Hembe lives way above his means. Apart from being adept at misappropriating, He [sic] has plenty questions to answer for movement amount money in the Federal Capital Territory budget.
2. Honourable Umar Mohammed Bago:
Hon Umar Mohammed Bago is the member representing Chanchanga Federal Constituency of Niger State and also the Chairman of the House Committee on marine transport. Our client petitions your office to probe the fraudulent investigative hearing organized by Hon Umar Mohammed Bago with support of Speaker Yakubu Dogara wherein he invited about 1000 companies as a conduit to extort money. The source of money used to fund the investigative hearing has remained a mystery.
3. Honourable Zakari Mohammed
Honourable Zakari Mohammed represents Baruten/Kaiama Federal Constituency of Kwara State and also the Chairman House Committee on higher education. He made a complete mess of the higher education committee budget through massive movements of funds and hundred of insertions. Also our client hereby petitions your office to investigate allegations of bribery against him and Speaker Yakubu Dogara over roles they played in the NNPC crude oil SWAP investigation.
4. Honourable Chike Okafor:
Honourable Chike Okafor is the member representing Ehime Mbano/Obowo/Ihitte of Imo State and also the Chairman House committee on health. Our client petitions your office to investigate Honourable Chike Okafor for being involved in and responsible for the movement of colossal amounts of money in the Health Committee budget.
5. Honourable Dan Asuquo:
Honourable Dan Asuquo represents Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency of Cross Rivers State and also the Chairman of the House Committee on Power. Our client petitions your office to investigate his involvement in and responsibility for the movement of massive amounts of money in the Power budget.
6. Honourable Jagaba Adams Jagaba
Honourable Jagada Adam is the member representing Kachia/Kagarko Federal Constituency of Kaduna State and also the Chairman House committee on Interior. Our client petitions your office to investigate his movement of massive amounts in the interior budget.
7. Honourable Haliru Jika
Honourable Haliru Jika represents Darazo/Gunjuwa Federal Constituency of Bauchi State and is also the Chairman of the House Committee on Police Affairs. Our client humbly petitions your office to investigate his movement of massive amounts of money into the Police budget.
8. Honourable Babanle Ila
Hon Babanle Ila represent [sic] Tarauni Federal Constituency of Kano state and is also the Chairman House services committee. Our client humbly petitions your office to investigate thoroughly the wasteful contracts awarded under his and the Speakers [sic] watch in order to justify spending.
9. Hon Abonta Abonta
He is the Chairman House committee on public petition. Our client humbly petition [sic] your office to investigate allegation of embezzlement, misuse and misappropriation of millions of naira meant for the running of his office.
Our client has severally requested for an investigation of the aforesaid allegations against the named persons by an independent committee constituted for that purpose and the House leadership consisting of the named persons have frustrated all efforts of our client in that regards.
It is therefore on the strength of these fraud allegations that we humbly petition your office to investigate, arrest and prosecute the persons involved in corrupt and fraudulent practices as patriotic citizens if we do not expose corruption, even if it is at the highest levels.
May we inform you that our Client is ready with and shall provide upon your invitation and request, all technical and physical assistance and evidence (documents) throughout the period of this investigation.
Please accept assurances of our continued high regards.
AB Bako Esq
Law Bond Solicitors
Content on this site, including news, quotes, data and other information, is sourced by PageOne.ng from official and public sources and other third party content providers for your personal information only, and is not intended for trading purposes. Content on this site is not appropriate for the purposes of making a decision to carry out a transaction or trade. Nor does it provide any form of advice (investment, tax, legal) amounting to investment advice, or make any recommendations regarding particular financial instruments, investments or products.